Monday, March 11, 2013

Away from the Kids

I'm away this week, taking a graduate level "intensive" seminary course.  This is the third week in a row that I've had a training or a class that has taken me away from home, and I feel bad about doing this to my husband and the kids.

Sure, I did all the laundry and left them with a fully stocked freezer of meals, but to get through the weeks the kids are having to skip many of their regular activities and my husband has had to work from home.  We also gave them these days off "school" because it would be too much for my husband to deal with, so the kids are probably getting way too much screen time.

And yet, that didn't stop me from leaving.  It's not just that this is my job (and I do love my job).  It's also that I really love the intellectual stimulation of taking training and classes.  Taking this class right now, being here where I'm just focused on learning, is a energizing and revitalizing.  I'll return to my job and my family with new energy and ideas.

It also might not be a purely personal endeavor.  I've heard a saying many times: "you get what you are".  If you want loving children, be loving.  If you want your children to be life-long learners - be a life-long learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment